Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

memories

My close friend has been blogging about her memories in an effort not to forget them.  Her blog entries have inspired me to blog about my own instances that I either cannot or do not want to forget.

Overtime, memories become warped and start ebbing away from the memory catalogs of the brain. I also believe that photographs depicting the day or the event can often distort our memories. For example, a stressful day during childhood could be getting on stage during a piano recital and performing from memory in front of two hundred people including peers and parents. Memories preserving emotions from the day include feeling very nervous, anxious, yet optimistic about a flawless performance. However, one of the eager beaver parents at the recital hall suddenly affronts you with an order to "SAY CHEESE!" and a camera in your face. Now, ten years later as you thumb through pictures from that day, you may think that that piano recital was no big deal and that you must have been without a care in the world as evinced by your toothy grin. So in my opinion, dependent on the situation, pictures can either preserve memories or fuel dissolution of memories.

So here begins a pledge to try to document these special occasions and hard-to-forget instances.

Although my memories will probably end up being in random order, I'm going to try to blog about my most recent first and move backward through teenage-hood and toward childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment