Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Challenge Commence or Good Game

Challenge
I've decided to challenge myself next year. Some of you may already know what I've decided to face head on, but for those of you who don't -- I am going to not buy any clothing, accessories, or shoes for a whole year.
Why It's a Challenge
I am a Little Girl with a Big Closet. 
It's not like I really follow the latest trends or have an excessive void that I fill with acquiring more clothes. It's more because I don't throw things out, ever. I call it Grandma Syndrome and let me tell you, its symptoms are strong. I have some sweater tights from Paris that I got when I was 12. They are in perfect condition and the scary thing is is that they still fit.  Speaking of Parisian tights, a lot of my apparel was bought on vacation either out of necessity (read underestimated how cold some locale would be) or out of vanity (read 'Oh my! Look at how it shines').
Bird Shirt
In short, I like clothes. I especially fancy unique articles like my (in)famous embroidered bird sweater or hand-crafted red headbands purchased at flea markets. They are one-of-a-kind and in some magical way, people recognize their rarity and quirkiness. In a good way.
So why am I Subjecting Myself to This?
Well, I feel it will test my strength and character. I honestly can't remember the last time I restricted myself like this. It's not like I live an epicurean life full of every whimsy indulgence currently. But this, honestly will be good for me in terms of seeing how I resistant I can be to capricious desires. It will force me to "shop my closet" and wear articles that I typically overlook. Additionally, it's my hope that I will eventually wear some items until they are so irreparably ratty that I will be forced to sleep in them only throw them out.
Last Supper
I bought a beautiful blouse today and I feel satisfied knowing that they will be my last acquisition for one year. Buying something today marks the last day of shopping for a year officially.
Pledge
Until December 28, 2011 -- I will attempt to not buy any clothes, accessories, shoes or anything that even remotely resembles the aforementioned items.
Challenge Commence

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESSS!! good luck, I could never do this and I'm not even a shopholic.

    I'm following, I have to hear how this resolution comes along!

    xxo Tess S.
    CESTDEMODE.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support Tess!
    It's great to have someone from the fashion world's support :)

    I'll be sure to update about my tribulations, temptations, and trials not succumbing to this weakness I have.

    ReplyDelete